This past Saturday was my baby shower. Check out the details here. I asked Michael if he wanted to attend my shower or do a co-shower of some sorts. He didn’t seem that big on either idea, you know the whole “baby showers are for girls” things. But I wanted to do something special for him. He’s has taken such good care of me my pregnancy so far that he deserved some fun. So I asked if he just wanted low-key party with his boys at our house. He loved that idea—mainly because it meant he could drink beer and eat all the BBQ meats I never make him.
|Just realized our orange serape matches the theme…|
|Appetizers when you first walked in the door.
Simple decorations to set the theme.
|This was SO cute, even the boys didn’t
want to take a cupcake and ruin it.
|MLB plates were on sale at Party City, couldn’t resist.|
|Giants themed pretzel rods made my my BFF.|
- Keep it simple. Men don’t usually like complicated or elaborate themes or events without any women around.
- Simple decorations set the mood, without your man’s friends thinking his wife is totally controlling him.
- Serve good, basic foods with lots of flavor. This is not the time try something from your molecular gastronomy cookbook. Serve some of your husband’s favorites along with some party staples like chips and dip.
- Don’t make the drinks too complicated either. Some good beers or good spirits should please everyone.
- Don’t forget the non-alcoholic drinks like punch, soda, or water as well. Not everyone drinks and you don’t want your guests getting too drunk.
- Give them optional games and activities. Men don’t usually want to play shower games like “Whose Features Does Mommy Want For Baby”, but once the food is gone they need something to keep from getting bored. Check to see if there is a game or event on TV they can watch. Set out cards, dominoes, or poker chips they can bust out when they feel competitive after a few drinks.But don’t set a schedule or force them into things.
- Let boys be boys. If you come home and see your husband did nothing the way you would have wanted, let it go. It’s his party. As long as he and his friends are having good time, that’s all that matters.
- Except when he forgets to make sure your cats are locked in the bedroom beforehand so they don’t get scared and run off during the party. You can give him the evil eye as your search for them high and low, in the dark, 9 months pregnant, and in a pretty dress!